Lakota West Junior Cameron Wesley (’19), daughter of Chris & Sheri Wesley, has verbally committed to play Softball and continue her education at Wright State University.
Coach Castner says: Cam is an extremely hard worker on and off the softball field. She is committed to becoming the best softball player every single day. Our coaching staff absolutely loves how Cam plays the game of softball and how she is as a person.
We are very happy that we have her playing for us for another 2 years. Her best softball years are still yet to come.
1. What led you to your decision to attend your chosen college?
I chose Wright State for many reasons, both academically and athletically. I love the style of Coach Matthews and Coach Brittingham and I feel they can push me to become the best athlete I can be. I also love the priority given to academics and I’m excited to possibly pursue a master’s degree in only five years. Overall, Wright State felt like an awesome fit and I knew it would be a great home for me.
2. Do you know what you want to study?
Something in the College of Engineering.
3. When did this school come into the picture?
I was interested in the program and went to a camp in October right after Coach Matthews was hired on. I immediately felt at home with the coaches and current players. They came and watched me play in a few tournaments in the fall and offered for me to come on a visit.
4. Have you visited the school? If so, when? How did it go?
My parents and I visited the school on December 1st. It was a great visit. The campus is a perfect size and the softball facilities are great. Big dorm rooms with your own bathroom and heated dugouts were a big plus.
5. Did anyone help you through the recruiting process? What kind of help did they provide?
Coach Burbrink from Lakota West has been helping me since my freshman year. My travel ball coaches Tim Gregory and Wendell Hutchinson was very good at putting me in contact with schools that I wanted to go to. My dad was also a big help.
6. What do you think you need to improve before starting college?
I need to continue to work on my overall game both physically and mentally.
7. Please list any special awards, accomplishments or distinctions you may have earned:
• 2nd Team GMC
• Selected to the Ohio High School Coaches Underclassman All-Star Team
• National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-American Scholar Athlete
• GMC All-Academic Team